Thursday, August 13, 2009

Citizen Journalism



I found the in-class presentations this week quite insightful. I didn't realise the extent that the media, and journalism as a profession is influenced by the public's input. Nor did I realise the range and extent of ways in which the public could become apart of the journalism process.

Upon realising the possibilities for citizen journalism, I undertook some further research and found numerous sites which allow for the public to blog and write articles these include highlight reputable news cites such as "The Punch" and "Mumbrella".

I think it would be great experience for any journalism student to take part in projects such as these, as, if nothing else, it will greatly improve their understanding of a citizen journalists role.

1 comment:

  1. Over the course of this week, I have been reporting as part of the news team for the Sydney 2009 World Masters Games. I am basically acting as a field reporter working in particular areas such as athletics or tennis. It has been an unbelievable experience and I feel I have learned even more about citisen journalism or at least citisen input. Throughout my time at the athletics track I would have had a much harder time finding human interest stories and interesting individuals if it weren't for the general public. A volunteer working in the lunchroom pointed out a man who had walked from Gimpy in Queensland to the games in Sydney over a 16 day period. This is just one of the many ways that citisen journalism can come into effect. As a result I got a truly original story which was extremely interesting.

    ReplyDelete